Monday, March 14, 2011

Crap is rolling in

  Starting to get a sense of what I want (need) for the trip in July and have started accumulating a lot of the smaller stuff. Making their way via UPS as I type; some fuel for my esbit stove, a titanium spork, and a couple water proof stuff sacks. On the "to order soon" list is a seat bag and frame bag compliments of Revelate Designs.  I decided to go this route instead of a trailer or racks/panniers for several reasons, but the the main reason is that I will pack to capacity whatever vessel I use. If I go as minimalist as possible, I won't be tempted to take along a lot of crap that I wont ever use. This is a little lesson learned compliments of backpacking along the AT. Yes, I was "that" guy lugging a loaded 5600 cu3 backpack on weekend excursions. 
  As far as actual training, I did a quick 10 mile out and back Sunday morning, you can see the track and details here. I've been using MotionX GPS on my iphone for about a year and half now and am totally sold on the app. I don't even use a bike computer anymore. The only issue I have is with the battery life on longer rides. I wont be able to let the app run all the way from Pittsburgh to DC, but I should be able to periodically mark way points along the route.

No comments:

Post a Comment